Most interior designers need inspiration, education and coaching in order to succeed in business—they also need a proper arsenal of books. Here it is a list of ten must-have books that will make your interior pop with pomp and circumstance. And for you last minute stocking-stuffers, these hardcovers are built to last!
1.The Big Book of Chic by Miles Redd (Assouline). New York-based designer is known for bold color combinations, use of antiques and for possessing a magical flair for the quirky and unexpected. Glean inspiration from the luminous array of glamorous images!
2.Celebrate A Year of Festivities For Families and Friends by Pippa Middleton (Viking Adult). Princess Catherine’s sister has revealed the secrets to throwing a memorable event with recipes and tips that will surely inspire your next party.
3.Simple Pleasures by Cornelia Guest (Weinstein Books). A longtime animal rights activist, philanthropist, businesswoman and daughter of fashion icon C. Z. Guest and Winston Frederick Churchill Guest, this book reveals the secrets of understated elegance minus the fussy food and pretension.
4. A Visual Life: Scrapbooks, Collages and Inspirations by Charlotte Moss (Rizzoli). New York designer is an icon of Southern warmth – hospitality, practicality and, of course, luxury. This book is devoted to gleaning design inspiration from the personal scrapbooks and notebooks of great women of style, including Elsie de Wolfe and Gloria Vanderbilt, famous mother of CNN’s Anderson Cooper.
5.Timeless Interiors Kathryn M. Ireland (Smith, Gibbs Publisher). One of the stars of Bravo TV’s “Million Dollar Decorators,” this is a must-have book for all those obsessed with bohemian chic and vivid patterns like paisley, ikat, and madras.
6.Cohler on Design by Eric Cohler (The Monacelli Press). Famous for his expert mixing of high- and low-end pieces, Cohler is a master at capturing an individual client’s personality and style. This dynamic visual tour de force is chock full of accessible tips and tricks that will help to make your design idea into a fantastic reality.
7. Ann Getty: Interior Style by Diane Dorrans Saeks (Rizzoli). Get an insider’s view of the exquisite designs of influential designer and philanthropist Ann Getty. This is a perfect read for those obsessed with the highest level of craftsmanship and incredibly rare antiques.
8. La Formentera by Juan Montoya (The Monacelli Press). Benefit from a rare opportunity to see the interior of a gorgeously charming, rustic stone-and-wood house designed by Juan Montoya.
9. Interior Design & Inspiration by Lars Bolander (teNeues). The pioneer of Swedish design shares his passionate, eclectic and highly personal interiors in this stunning showcase. Featuring a vibrant mix of comfort, adventure and art, discover a fascinating collection of images that accurately highlight the creative gifts of this gifted decorator.
10. American Beauty by Thom Felicia (Random House, Inc). Featuring a foreward by “30Rock” star Tina Fey, the book illustrates the renovation project of a weathered-looking house located in an idyllic village near Syracuse, New York. Best known as the design expert on TV’s “Queer Eye for the Straight Guy“, Felicia transforms the house into a quirky abode that redefines ‘Americana.’
A La Carte: Elements of an Elegant House by Sherrill Canet (Pointed Leaf Press). New York-based interior designer offers readers a tutorial in decorating in a range of styles from Old World traditional to chic and tailored.
Made to Order by Campion Platt (The Monacelli Press) Clean and simple design coupled with an embrace of color, beautifully crafted millwork, and environmentally friendly materials are hallmarks of the work of celebrity interiors maverick, Campion Platt. Marvel at the lavish array of over 200 images, engaging commentary and original sketches. This book is sure to please!